Heavenly potato pillows, spinach, & sausage
Tonight’s dinner: Italian turkey sausage, spinach, and gnocchi. And oh my goodness, it was so yummy.
3 things that made me LOVE this new recipe:
- Gnocchi – aka heavenly little potato pillows. Tortellini and ravioli used to be on my short list of go-to quick dinners. However, the fact that they’re filled with cheese left my stomach less than pleased as my lactose intolerance progressed. ENTER gnocchi. These delicious little potato pillows are cheese-free and still super creamy and rich. They satisfy my tortellini/ravioli craving, and with this recipe I don’t miss the cheese one bit!
- Italian turkey sausage – With roughly half the calories and a third of the fat of it’s pork counterpart, I’m hereby making the switch to Italian turkey sausage. Try it! You definitely won’t be disappointed!
- So inexpensive! – S/O to my local Aldi for having everything I needed for this recipe, AND it all cost less than $10.
This recipe is from Eating Well, though I made a few tweaks to eliminate the cheese, speed up the cooking process, and add some extra spice.
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 links Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/4 TSP ground black pepper
- 1/2 TSP crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 16 oz shelf-stable gnocchi
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet and add onion. Cook and stir on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Increase heat and add turkey sausage, garlic, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Break up the meat and cook until browned.
- Add spinach, a few handfuls at a time. Cook and stir until each batch of spinach is wilted.
- Remove the sausage/spinach mixture from the pan. Cook the gnocchi in the residual oil in the pan, for about 10 minutes, until browned and fluffy.
- Mix the spinach and sausage back into the pan. Scoop and serve!
Try this recipe and leave me a comment! I’d love to know what you think and what variations you made.