Gluten-free, dairy-free French toast bake
While I totally respect those who showered their moms in beautiful gifts this Mother’s Day, my mom’s gift was a bit more simple – but even more valuable if you ask me. The gift of time is by far the most precious. It’s the one thing we can never get more of, and are always hoping to receive from the ones we love. Along with that shared time, my family shared a fabulous brunch perfect for everyone’s dietary restrictions: gluten-free, dairy-free French toast bake.
A few things to note:
- Gluten-free bread – Another enthusiastic shoutout to Aldi, this time for their super stocked gluten-free bakery. I went with a cinnamon raisin bread, but anything from bread to old bagels will work for this one.
- PURE maple syrup – None of that sugary, synthetic syrup with maple flavoring for this one. Add a few tablespoons of pure maple syrup into the egg mixture, and then drizzle some more on the slices when serving.
- Mix it up – 10/10, would recommend using blueberries for this, but whatever you have on hand will work just as well! I almost skipped the fruit, but I’m so glad I didn’t. It gives it that bit of freshness that a French toast bake craves.
- 12 oz loaf of gluten-free bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 TSP ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- After slicing your bread into bite size pieces, spread them evenly in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, almond milk, syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over the bread and stir to evenly coat the bread.
- Sprinkle with blueberries and mix.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until the bread becomes lightly browned.
- Drizzle each serving with more maple syrup as a finishing touch.
What did you and your mom brunch on this Mother’s Day? I’d love to hear from you! Comment below.